It has been quite some time since I have communicated with all of you, and I thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for your great concern and patience. Although I have been far away, and very much out of direct communication with you, your children have been in my thoughts each and every day. As I know you have heard from Mr. Raczak, just about a month ago my husband and I received a call from a young person in Durban, South Africa, telling us that our daughter Jenny was in the hospital. Jenny had arrived in Durban a month earlier to complete a one year commitment to service of the poor. That night, as the hours passed, it became painfully clear that she was gravely ill, and that we must try to get to our daughter quickly. We flew to South Africa (a full day's journey) and thankfully were able to be with Jenny as she came out of a seven hour surgery. After experiencing a massive pulmonary embolism, we feel so eternally grateful that she is alive, and on her way to a complete recovery. As you can imagine, it has been a difficult time for me and my family, and yet we feel so fortunate to see Jenny rebuilding her strength, and are overwhelmed by the love and kindness of the many people here in South Africa. Life is truly a gift, and I am grateful for each and every day!
Please know, that I am in close communication with Mr. Raczak and Mrs. Raspillar. I have known Mrs. Raspillar for many years, and am so happy that she is your children's substitute teacher. As soon as Jenny is strong enough to travel, we are planning on returning home. My expectation is that I will be back at school on April 4th, the Monday after Spring Break. In the meantime, Jenny and I are staying comfortably in the Retreat House which is next door to the volunteer house where she had been living as a volunteer. It warms my heart to see her getting stronger each and every day.
Thank you so much for your understanding and your prayers. It will be a very happy day for me when I see your children's smiling faces again. If you have any immediate questions or concerns, please let me or Mrs. Raspiller know. I will now have an opportunity to check my email, and I will make every attempt to assist you in any way that I can.
Best wishes until I see you...
Mrs. Patti Tobin